photo of someone looking at finances on a phone

Motor Trade Insurance

Motor traders must have cover to be able to legally drive their customers’ vehicles. It typically covers the specified person or persons to drive any motor vehicle for motor trade purposes.

It is a legal requirement for any motor vehicle to have adequate motor insurance if it is to be used or left on a public highway. But if your business operates in the motor industry, you will also be required to have motor trade insurance.

CRS takes the worry out of finding the right insurance product that suits your needs and generally tailor the cover to make sure that you have the correct level of cover for all eventualities. We have a dedicated team of commercial specialists based at our offices in Northwich that are experienced in all aspects of insurance.

Types of motor trade insurance driving

When it comes to choosing the type of motor trade insurance cover you need, you can choose from:

  • Insured only
  • Insured and specified drivers
  • Any driver. These generally are few and far between and are only on offer with experienced existing motor trade businesses

What type of vehicles can I drive on a motor trade insurance policy?

We cater for all types of vehicles that you require and have special policies in place to cover any vehicle that you wish. The premiums can alter dramatically to cover all these vehicles so working out the level of cover you would need and the types of vehicles you need to insure will help cut the costs of your motor trade insurance.

What is an HGV insurance policy?

If you own and intend to use a vehicle on a public highway which is over 7.5 tonne gross vehicle weight then a Heavy Goods Vehicle or HGV insurance policy is required. There are many examples of what would be classed as a HGV including an articulated lorry, tipper lorry or flatbed lorry.

Our typical HGV insurance schemes are designed for policyholders with up to 5 vehicles, but we can also offer fleet insurance policies for businesses who offer more.

What do I need for my HGV insurance cover?

This is determined by what exactly your lorry will be used for and as such will be tailored to your needs. But how you are carrying your goods will determine what lorry insurance cover you will require:

  • Carriage of Own Goods Insurance – for the carriage of your business goods only and a typical example is a groundworker.
  • Haulage Insurance (Carriage of Goods For Hire and Reward) – this cover will be required if you are charging to deliver someone else’s goods.

What is van insurance?

This is determined by what exactly your van will be used for and as such we can tailor a product around your  individual needs. But how you are carrying your goods determine what van insurance cover you will require:

  • Social Domestic and Pleasure Insurance – usually for personal use only and are generally used for people who have hobbies and need something larger than a car.
  • Carriage of Own Goods Insurance – for the carriage of your business goods only and a typical example is a groundworker.
  • Courier (Carriage of Goods For Hire and Reward) – this cover will be required if you are charging to deliver someone else’s goods.
  • All types of motor insurance follow traditional motor cover such as comprehensive, third party fire and theft and third party only and an excess would apply to each insurance policy.

Looking for motor trade insurance advice in Cheshire?

If you would like motor trade insurance advice, please get in touch via our enquiry form and a member of our team will be in contact to discuss your requirements and the best options for your circumstances.

CRS is a British Insurance Brokers Association Member CRS is part of Bravo Networks

Related Services

Agricultural insurance can be complex and brings up all sorts of issues that you do not get with commercial insurance. Choosing an insurer who understands the industry and the risks is crucial. 

Commercial combined insurance brings a range of business insurances together under one policy, making it easier to manage.

Commercial liability insurance provides cover for sole traders, partnerships or limited companies to ensure that you are personally protected against any business losses. 

Commercial property insurance covers the bricks and mortar for your business premises and can include factories, warehouses, offices or complex premises such as listed buildings or castle ruins.

Cyber Insurance is a type of cover that is designed to protect your business from the financial and reputational costs of a malicious attack, such as a data breach or cyber attack.

Commercial Flood Insurance provides your business with a payout to cover the costs of property damage, disruptions in trading or damaged contents.

Virtually every material thing in our day to day lives has at some time been “goods in transit”, whether it has been transported just a few miles or from the other side of the world. 

Motor fleet insurance is a policy that covers several specified types of vehicles and drivers. Combining your vehicle insurance with a motor fleet policy can help reduce your insurance costs.

Professional Indemnity Insurance covers financial loss sustained by customers when you make mistakes and includes compensation awarded to your customer as well as their legal costs.